is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

Vermont Court Records is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are Vermont Inmate Records?

Vermont inmate records contain information about persons incarcerated for breaking criminal laws in the state. These records are created by the facility where the inmate is held upon the person’s arrival. Inmate records may also serve as evidence of a person’s criminal status, proving that the subject of the record was convicted and sentenced to time in detention. Typically, a Vermont inmate record contains the following information on the inmate:

  • Full name
  • Alias
  • Current age
  • Booking date
  • Release date
  • Race
  • Sex
  • Estimated release dates
  • Current status
  • Parole officer, if applicable
  • Photograph, if available
  • Case number and description
  • Current case status
  • Offense date
  • Arrest date

Under the Vermont Public Records Law, inmate records are considered public information, and anyone may freely access these records. However, note that records containing confidential or sensitive information may be exempt from public inspection. Vermont law allows records to be withheld if such records contain information related to an ongoing investigation, or if the information on the record may deprive a person of a right to a fair trial. Sealed or expunged records are also unavailable to the public.

Inmate records are issued and maintained by the Vermont Department of Corrections (VDOC). Note that the VDOC is allowed to decide what may be a good enough reason to withhold an inmate record from public disclosure. Also, juvenile inmate records are not available to the public.

How To Find An Inmate In Vermont?

The Vermont Department of Corrections provides an online platform that anyone may use to find persons incarcerated in the state. Through the VDOC’s offender locator, interested persons may search the online database using the inmate’s first name, last name, or an alias. By default, the offender locator allows requestors to search for current inmates. However, users may select “Options” to change the search type when searching for released inmates. In addition, persons may search through the inmate locator by date range. The search result displays extensive details about the inmate, including physical descriptors and information on charges and sentences. The inmate’s current location is also displayed.

Most Vermont counties do not provide an online search function where requestors may locate an inmate. Persons interested in locating an inmate in a county jail may contact the county jail directly. Alternatively, contact the county sheriff’s office in the relevant county.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In Vermont?

There is no federal prison facility in Vermont. However, persons interested in finding federal inmates may do so using the online database provided by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP). The BOP website provides an inmate locator where users may search for inmates by name or number.

Using the number search requires providing at least one of the following numbers:

  • BOP register number
  • District of Columbia Department of Corrections (DCDC) number
  • Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) number
  • Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) number

Where none of the above numbers is available, requestors may also find inmates through the name search. To carry out a name search, provide the first and last names of the inmate. Other options available to filter the name search results include the inmate’s sex, race, and age.

Note that the information held on the BOP’s online database is subject to periodic change. Under the First Step Act, inmate sentences may be reviewed downwards for several reasons. Members of the general public are advised to check the database periodically for any changes in the displayed information.

Note that the BOP’s database only contains records of inmates incarcerated from 1982 to date. Records of federal inmates incarcerated before 1982 may be available from the National Archives Records Administration (NARA). The NARA maintains records for inmates in federal prisons between 1870 and 1981, for the following locations:

  • Fort Smith, Arkansas (1866—1900)
  • Atlanta Federal Penitentiary (1902—1921)
  • United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas (1895—1931)
  • McNeil Island
  • Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, California (1934 - 1963)

To request an inmate record for any of the above locations, contact the NARA online through its contact page. Fill the form with a detailed description of the inmate record sought, and any other details that may assist the NARA to find the record. 

Alternatively, send a written request to the NARA by mail. The written request should contain correct details on the inmate, such as the full name, available aliases, ethnicity or race, and estimated age during the sentence. Also, include the date of the prison sentence, or an estimated date range of the sentence. Send the written request by mail to:

The National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740–6001
Phone: (866) 272–6272

Note that the NARA may charge a fee to make inmate records available to requestors.

How Do I Find Inmate Records In Vermont?

Requestors may obtain physical copies of inmate records from the Vermont Department of Corrections (VDOC). Interested persons may request inmate records from the VDOC by sending a written request. 

A written request should contain details of the desired inmate, including the full name, date of birth, known aliases, information on charges and sentences, and any other available details. Ensure that the written request also contains the contact details of the requestor, including a return address. Note that the VDOC may charge a fee to make these records available. Send the written request to:

Vermont Department of Corrections
Administrative Offices
NOB 2 South
280 State Drive
Waterbury VT 05671–2000
Phone: (802) 241–2442

Alternatively, requestors may contact any of the following state facilities:

Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility
7 Farrell Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
Phone: (802) 863–7356
Fax: (802) 863–7473

Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility
167 State Street
Rutland, VT 05701
Phone: (802) 786–5830
Fax: (802) 786–5843

Northeast Correctional Complex (NERCF and CCWC)
1266–1270 US Route 5
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
Phone: (802) 748–8151
Fax: NERCF (802) 748–6604
Fax: CCWC (802) 751–1481

Northern State Correctional Facility
2259 Glen Road
Newport, VT 05855
Phone: (802) 334–3364
Fax: (802) 334–3367

Northwest State Correctional Facility
3649 Lower Newton Road
St. Albans, VT 05488
Phone: (802) 524–6771
Fax: (802) 527–7534

Southern State Correctional Facility
700 Charlestown Road
Springfield, VT 05156
Phone: (802) 885–9800
Fax: (802) 885–9819

Persons interested in records of inmates in county jails may contact the relevant Vermont county sheriff’s office for more details.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple records. To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In Vermont?

The VDOC allows family and friends to deposit funds into an inmate’s account. Depositors may send funds online or by mail. The online method involves creating an account with Access Corrections, a third-party platform. Depositors will need to provide personal details such as a full name, address, phone number, and birth date. Note that online deposits require a debit or credit card.

Alternatively, family and friends may send funds to an inmate’s account by mail. To use this method, download and complete a deposit coupon with the inmate’s full name, date of birth, and VDOC number. Ensure that the sender’s name and address are also correctly filled. Note that depositors may not send more than $500 per day. Also, any incomplete coupons will be returned to the sender.

Mail deposits may be completed with money orders or bank checks payable to ‘VT DOC FBO. (Inmate Name)‘. The money order or bank check should also carry the inmate’s ID number in the memo field. Send the money order or bank check along with the deposit coupon to:

Inmate Trust
PO Box 1344
Williston, VT 05495–1344

Note that depositors should send the money order or bank check directly to the facility. Also, cash deposits are not accepted by mail. Any personal items or mail included with the money order or bank check will be destroyed. Depositors interested in sending funds to inmate accounts in county jails are advised to contact the facility for instructions directly.

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!